- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) affects 1 in 50 American children.
- Autism crosses all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups.
- Autism is 5 times more common in boys than girls.
- Families with a child with autism spend an annual average of 6.2 times more on medical expenses… and 9.5 times more on annual living expenses.
- Not to mention the emotional, mental, and physical demands of caring for a child with autism.
We, as a community, can do better…
- These families need to know that they are not alone.
- It is up to each one of us to increase our understanding – to help these children to reach their full potential.
- We can have a greater understanding of autism, and a greater understanding of these individual children.
- Many of these children are the most intelligent people that you will ever know.
- Most of them possess compassion and the ability to love more deeply than we can imagine.
These children will be a significant part of our future, and we must provide opportunities for them to flourish.